Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thoughts on the Sweet Dreams Series, and Pink Floyd...

It was a long, long night, and I was up early.  Awakened at 10:00 am by WITF's Cary Burkett and his Classical Air...or Classical Gasbagging if you will.  I don't know much about classical music, but I know what I like.  Burkett picks some good stuff, and at least he sounds like he's alive, not like the death-warmed-over dude who used to do Morning Pro Musica WGBH back in the day.


Anyway...about more important music...Pink Floyd.


Now I have never been a big Floyd fan; yeah, I knew about 'The Wall' (still the worst non-drug-induced emotional experience of my life), "Dark Side of the Moon," blah blah fucking blah.  I admired a lot about 'em, just never that big into them.


Well, my dear sister found "Oh By The Way," that gigantor box set from hell for X-day for me.  Bless You, Susan!


I sat down to edit Book 1 of the Sweet Dreams Series, and what better to do it with than coffee, Djarum Black and the first recordings, one after the other...?  Mind-bending, the way it needs to be.


"Piper at the Gates of Dawn," and the self-titled followup...you can tell the stirrings of what is coming.  Syd Barrett was fucking insane, but there was some brilliant stuff in that man.  The soundtrack album for whatever movie that was, then Umagumma...rush in more ways than one.


Had to come down, so I cranked out a pair of Tom Russell CDs.  Tom is the man, legendary songwriter.  Met him at XM back in the day, a really nice guy.


Now, the recent edit for Book 1 (aka "Searching for Roy Buchanan") was spurred by recent discussion and critique by my longtime friend Sara and by Jen, the anime artist.


As Sara is partly Japanese by descent, and the book is set there, Sara has been able to impart her insights on things that I cannot possibly know about.  Jen has also weighed in on a number of areas, stylistically, etc.


So there was a long read-through, and edits to be made.  Actually, found a few other things to alter.  The goal must always be to make the next edit a better one than the previous, and that the book becomes better as a story as a result.


Did that make sense?


Anyway, it is better.  I feel it.  I also got my quarterly report from the agent, regarding who is reading, who is not, etc.  Jeanie has opened a lot of doors for me, and I know we're gonna get a strike one of these days.  J. has had faith in me, which I appreciate.  She hasn't gotten down or discouraged; you need one amazing well of strength to keep going, in any job.


Now...the band may be getting back together after all.  Looking at Sunday evening, my place to bring back two, if not three members.  We will also check out a new singer, whom I think will work beautifully.


I have to train sometime along for TrafficTalk, but I'm having trouble finding an adapter for my headset.  I hope I don't have to buy another fucking headset.


Those stupid, tiny little jacks...the sizes are never right, and the adapters are always fucked.  Grrrr...universal size, folks?  Ever thought of that shit?


I will later be off in my capacity as a driver soon.  K. needs a lift about this week, and as I get paid, it's all good.


Other aspects of the world about me:  I am not sure what they are, but I did recall something while going through my messages this morning:


I had been bound and determined to get the fuck out of here.  That means, Pennsylvania, aka Dumbekistan, aka Pennsyltucky.


Well, I knew practically that would not work.  I don't have any prospects up in Boston, and I don't have the money.  I also have too many things going on here that I have to deal with.


I think getting away from here every so often is a help, and that's what I'll need to do.  Alleviate the stress and weirdness.


I am not sure if Riz is coming or not.  She had been offered a place to stay by our mutual friend KJ, but we don't know if it can be done.  Riz has said that she is motivated now to do certain things.  Okay, good; we'll see where it leads.  Riz is a big girl and can do what she needs to.


Okay...must figure out whatever else it is I'm supposed to be doing today...my life is going to become more busy very soon, and I'm not sure how to schedule it all. Oh well...when has that been an obstacle?

No comments:

Post a Comment