Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene Update, Part 3

This will need to be short...it's about 1:30 in the morning Eastern Time as I write this...we are now getting lashed by wind and rain here in the Midstate.  Bear this in mind:  I am a good 90 miles west of Philadelphia.  This is a storm here, with continuous rain and winds; go that far east, and think of how rough it is.

I was roused by a sound that didn't shake me, but it was enough:  power outage.  Momentarily, thankfully, and I was able to get things back up.  Cold, clammy conditions, forcing me to close my bedroom window.  With it closed, you can feel and hear the situation outside.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Watch-Live-Storm-Tracker-Hurricane-Irene-Coverage-128389848.html

I've been watching NBC 4 (hooray for the Internet and streaming!), or listening throughout the night; they have done damned fine work.  New York is getting it now...what you can hear on the stream as well as see proves it's getting worse.  Now look at this:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/feature?section=weather&id=8320373

This ABC affiliate's fine weather link shows Irene has not yet hit New York.  It will not be paralell to Philadelphia until 8 am.  Now, that is telling.  While Irene appears to be weakening a little, it's still powerful.

The storm appears to be skirting the Jersey Shore, but it's on track to move on New York, especially the western edge of Long Island, then into Connecticut, through New Hampshire and into Canada.

Now, we are getting some higher winds, gusting up...they are talking of storm surges.  We saw what it did in Japan, with the tsunami; we're not going to have that but it's still dangerous.  3-8 feet along the Jersey Shore.

Anyway, I must crash again...a long day tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll have much more to report as my day wears on.

Again, be safe, all...

No comments:

Post a Comment