Saturday, April 2, 2011

Another Week, Interesting Writing Things, and Foster & Lloyd Reunite!

It's been a long and busy week for me, so blogging has not been an option.  I really don't have very long right now, as I have to hit the road and get up to WITF.  I have a brief recording session with a friend of mine, then it's gonna be a long night doing sports for KYW Radio.


Reason Being:  the Philadelphia Union are in Los Angeles.  Kickoff vs. David Beckham, Landon Donovan and the Galaxy is 10:30 pm.  Joy.


Now you (along with Jim Rome) might ask, "Why worry about soccer?"  Reason to; the Union are only in their second season, and opened the year 2-and-0.  LA is gonna be their toughest test, and this team has only scored two goals.  But staying late means getting paid more.


I went through two exhausting mornings of training at WITF on "Morning Edition."  I'm being trained as a backup for the program; there is a lot of timing issue stuff to deal with.  It's not as easy as it sounds, if you've ever listened to NPR for very long.


It means being there at 4 am, and what follows is five hours of intense, mindful work.  But this is a challenge I never had, and I'm glad to get a shot at it.


Oh yeah...the Phillies won yesterday, very nice.  They play tonight, and the Sixers are on the road, oh busy I'll be.


I was at Clear Channel last night to do the Bears game.  And if you read my previous blog, you'll recall how THAT ended out.


Tonight, much easier and better.  Back in the original studio, a much easier time of things, and ... cell phone call, update coming!


***


Radio Update


***


Art has called just now...for now, we have learned what caused the production room control board to fritz out like it did last Saturday.  Or at least we have a solution.


This morning, they ran a test, and it didn't work.  At all.  I was not hallucinating.


The engineer says to go somewhere in or under the control board (?!?) and find the power switch.  Turn it off, wait 30 seconds, and turn it on again.


Okay...it rebooted.  It worked.  You cannot however do this during a live broadcast...SLAMS HEAD ON DESK.


I'm sure Art is doing plenty of that now.


Anyway, I've been somewhat vindicated. 


Now...my agent informs me via the quarterly report that another publisher, an e-book publisher is "reading" Sweet Dreams:  Searching for Roy Buchanan.  Coolness.  Doesn't mean anything yet, but I'm encouraged.


My new work is called "Silk Road Days," and I have to consider carefully how to make this story a bit different than all the other Japanese anime/fiction stuff out there.


Going to have to work a lot on character development and other weird things.  But I think it will turn out well.  


Too much to do today, tonight, tomorrow...same old.


Oh...Foster & Lloyd are back!  They have not recorded in 20 years, but a new album is coming out this spring!  


Great music, singer/songwriters of the New Country movement in the late 80's (not the muck being shit out Nashville's ass since 1991!); they still wrote together all this time, and I'm glad as hell they're back.  Can't wait to hear what they do.


Now I gotta get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment