Thursday, February 10, 2011

Out Among the Stars; the Music, the Song, the Book, and the Considerations

Well, I've finished another rewrite and edit of my latest book, "Out Among the Stars."  Who knows when this will come out...so much before to push, but then again, you never know, I suppose.

The song that inspired the story is at the link:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSbBxi6E8s

I have to admit, Merle Haggard's version is the one I first heard.  This one is by the writer, Adam Mitchell.  Waylon Jennings also recorded this song, but to me Merle got the sensitivity right.

I don't know why, but Adam and Waylon both did this a little too sing-songy, for the subject matter.  I could not find Merle's version on Youtube.

Anyway, just so you know, this song merely inspired me to write, but it is NOT based on the song entirely, nor on its subject matter.  The story is based on sentiments in the song, and very personal thoughts I've been having about certain aspects of my life, and the lives of others.

The song fits; the story is broader in scope and even better with all the twists I've fitted into it.

Anyway, it is a very interesting song.  Unfortunately, I don't think any of Mr. Mitchell's albums are on CD, which is a shame.

Having never heard the guy beyond that he was the writer of this song, he reminds me of a lot of singer-s0ngwriter types who recorded in the 70's.  I can think of James Taylor, but more the Randy Vanwarmer type of writer and performer here.

Either way, a great song. 

The week beyond this has been busy, with all the usual things...I finally feel that after a few weeks of working this story, and making the requisite changes, additions and so on, I can now step back from it and think about other things.

I do hammer things pretty hard sometimes...how it is.

Love to know what you think of this song, and also if you are a writer, do things like this suddenly become the seed for you to go all out and create something even bigger?

No comments:

Post a Comment